The Toggl Integration for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central will save you time setting up projects and posting consumption by enabling you to import and export data to/from Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Setup and use
The Togg Integration works with minimal setup: You need to supply your Toggl Workspace ID and the Toggl API Key for the Toggl Integration User (typically a Toggl Admin user).
Master Data: Importing Clients, Projects and Tasks in Business Central
Master data can be imported from Toggl to Business Central:
- Toggl Clients will be imported and automatically linked to Business Central Customers, if the Names correspond.
- Toggl Projects will be imported and linked to Business Central Jobs and Job Tasks, if the Project Name in Toggl corresponds with the Job and Job Task Description in Business Central
- Toggl Tasks will be imported and linked to Business Central Job Tasks, if the Project Name and Task Name correspond with the respective Job and Job Task in Business Central
Avoid using illegal characters like "&@?*|()" in Toggl’s Names, as that will break the search for corresponding Customers, Jobs and Job Tasks in Business Central.
Any suggested links (based on corresponding Names and Descriptions) can be overridden in Business Central, if you prefer a manual setup of time allocation for some or all Toggl Projects and Tasks.
Likewise, Business Central Job Tasks can be exported to Toggl:
- Business Central Job Sell-to Customer will be exported to a Toggl Client
- Business Central Job will be exported to a Toggl Project
- Business Central Job Task will be exported to a Toggl Task in the Toggl Project
The Business Central pages Toggl Clients, Toggl Projects and Toggl Tasks will show a complete overview of the corresponding master data in Toggl and the current mapping to Business Central master data.
Time Entries: Creating Job Journal Lines and Job Ledger Entries in Business Central
Once master data is set up, the integration can import Toggl Time Entries to a Business Central Job Journal for posting to the linked Jobs and Job Tasks.
Users in Toggl are matched to Resources in Business Central by their Name and the Journal Lines are created automatically with the Unit Cost and Unit prices of the Resource set up in Business Central for the given Job and Customer.
If the Time Entry is related to a Toggl Task, the Job Journal Lines are created with the Task Name prefixed to the manually entered Entry Description.
Note regarding handling of Clients/Customers
It is possible to change a Projects' association with Clients in Toggl, but this does not affect the Job or which Customer is associated with the Job in Business Central. The Job Ledger Entry is created on the Job to which the Toggl Project is linked, regardless of any discrepancies between the Job's Customer (BC) and the Project's Client (Toggl). It is thus possible to have a more nuanced Client allocation in Toggl, while you bill Jobs combined in BC or vice versa.
Note regarding modification of previous Time Entries
Any changed Toggl Time Entries are automatically updated while still in the Job Journal, but once posted to the Job Ledger in Business Central, any potential changes to an entry performed in Toggl will be ignored by Business Central. Therefore, have a strict policy around changing time entries in Toggl once they are posted in BC. There is no control over these possible changes.